Monday, January 7, 2013

Constitutions

Lectio Divina

He has sent me to bring good news to the poor.

Isaiah 61:1

Library

This week and next, reading the The Constitutions of the Capuchin Friars Minor.

Log

Morning prayer and Mass in the back chapel. Singing in key and at the appropriate tempo is becoming more of a challenge in these close quarters. The sound is a little crumbly! Our formator in charge of liturgy is returning from vacation today, so his presence will bring a little more solidity to our singing. His musical gifts are made better known in their absence. Now I appreciate better how his talents stir what Franciscans call "the spirit of prayer and devotion."

Feeling confident after my foray into baking with tofu on Saturday, I woke over an hour early this morning to prepare something you call a tofu scramble. It's just like scrambled eggs, but even better. I made enough for a few days of breakfasts and shared it proudly with my novice brothers after worship.

Brother Jack, who arrived last night, begins our class sessions on the Capuchin Constitutions this morning. He will be here for the next ten days. Watch this space for updates and insights into our learning on this document, which, founded on our charter, the Rule of Saint Francis, establishes both the letter and spirit of the Gospel life we live.

This afternoon, spiritual direction at Old Mission Santa Barbara. Most likely there will be no schola rehearsal this evening, as our formator is just coming back today. I wonder how rehearsals will sound when they resume in the back chapel. It's not an acoustically friendly space.

Weather

It's cold out there. The layers of clothing I wear conceal my body, but I hope they do not conceal my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment