Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Wildfire

Lectio Divina

... for my sake and for the sake of the gospel....

Mark 10:29

Library

The new issue of Commonweal is here, confirming my subscription has been renewed ... huzzah! Now, if I am not continuing lectio divina on the above phrase, I will open Brown, The Ecumenical Revolution, after the Office of Readings this evening.

Log

It is Tuesday, but it feels like Monday because of Memorial Day being yesterday.

Shortly after my brothers returned from their picnic by Paradise Road, a vegetation fire blew into a great blaze in the Los Padres National Forest. The furious winds made the fire something fierce, quickly consuming a thousand acres and more. Hundreds of holiday campers and area residents were evacuated. Numerous fire-fighting agencies came to the scene, but it seemed the fire was only marginally controlled by the evening.

We are grateful our brothers returned to us safely, before danger broke out. Fortunately, no injuries have been reported, and it does not seem that any residential property was destroyed.

Today, back to our normal schedule except we substituted prayerful silence this morning for instruction. It makes little sense to hold a class on anything when a third of the novitiate community is in Pittsburgh attending a provincial chapter. This afternoon, more than two hours of watering our grounds. It's so dry because of the rising heat and wind that the hem of my pant legs, which I accidentally soaked with a hose, was dry within an hour.

Back on kitchen duty this week and liturgical leadership, too. With one of my novice brothers I will be preparing the evening meal this Saturday. Back to the vegan cookbooks.... 

Weather

How strong the wind, how great the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment