Monday, May 6, 2013

Return to Prayer

Lectio Divina

... the praise of God ... and a two-edged sword ...

Psalm 149:6 (Athanasian Grail Psalter)

What do I say when I speak with my lips "the praise of God"? What do I do in God's name when I take into my hands "a two-edged sword"? And what is that two-edged sword? Are there indeed words and deeds fit for each other and pleasing to God? (And good for the community of humanity?) A true being and a loving doing?

Library

Johnson, Friends of God and Prophets, in the chapel stall. Brown, The Ecumenical Revolution, on the night-table. And whichever of the newspapers the U.S. Mail brings to me this week.

Log

Felt grumpy going into chapel this morning. But the Spirit arrived for me (or, I became present to the Spirit) at around 7 o'clock or so, and then I felt better. If only friars weren't so determined to be morning persons! I don't know how it is for others, but sometimes I find it very hard to have to rise well before I shine.

Aiming, in prayer, to renew intentions concerning the quality of my interpersonal relationships, both within the religious community and with my friends and relatives afar. From there, I can pray rightly for and with the community of humanity and the transformation of society. From personal charity to the corporate compassion and justice of Jesus Christ: this is the spiritual way I proceed currently.

Moving associationally along: This morning, we are to begin two weeks of class sessions regarding Franciscan prayer. What that means I hope to unfold, as it is presented to me, in posts to come.

Later, work on the grounds. Though rain misted the area, I am sure I need to keep up the watering I have been doing. Mid-afternoon, I expect to have a telephone conversation with a person from my province inquiring into religious life with the Capuchins. This evening, schola rehearsal. In between all this, making the case for why I should pursue graduate theological studies at Boston College.

Weather

Just a little rain over the last 24 hours, but that is a lot more than anyone has seen lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment