Monday, November 26, 2012

On This Day

A song for my mother, Mary, on her sixtieth birthday.

On this day, your first of days,
God Creator's name I praise
Who with spirit quickening
Did your life from darkness bring

On this day your grateful son
Sings to show what God has done
On this day the Spirit came
With her gifts of living flame

God, the one who fashioned you,
Made of you a maker, too
Filled you with that love divine
And life in you to beget mine

Flesh from your flesh, your legacy
Now exults in liberty
Free to live and die and rise
Into God in sacrifice

Mother, always do impart
Gifts of love to warm my heart
Share God's light and grace, I pray
Fill my heart this holy day

God is love and God is one
May her holy will be done
Take my word and all its worth
Tribute on your day of birth.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I was born on the very same day as your mother! Wednesday, 11/26/1952 in Lorain, Ohio.

    I am a newly consecrated virgin in the Diocese of Cleveland, Ohio. I have been reading your blog for some time now, trying to more fully understand the Capuchin way of life. God bless you in your ministry.

    ReplyDelete