Thursday, July 18, 2013

Words of Avowal

When I profess my vows with the Capuchin Franciscans on Saturday, this is the formula I will use. It is a new translation of the formula given through the Constitutions of the Capuchin Friars Minor. It is a bit ungainly in its grammar and a little archaic in its courtly language -- sorry; that's the editor in me speaking -- but the significance of what I am undertaking comes through clearly.

To the praise and glory of the most holy Trinity!
Since the Lord has inspired me
to follow more closely the Gospel
and footprints of our Lord Jesus Christ,
I, Brother Anthony,
in the presence of the assembled brothers,
placing my hands in yours, Brother Francis,
with firm faith and will,
vow to God the Father, holy and almighty,
to live until September 1, 2014,
in obedience, without anything of my own,
and in chastity.
I also promise to observe faithfully
the life and Rule of the Friars Minor
confirmed by Pope Honorius
according to the Constitutions
of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin.

Therefore with all my heart
I entrust myself to this brotherhood,
that by the effective working of the Holy Spirit,
guided by the example of Mary Immaculate,
through the intercession of our father Francis
and all the saints,
and with the help of you, my brothers,
I may constantly seek the perfection of charity
in the service of God, the Church, and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment