Wednesday, April 24, 2013

With All the Faithful

Lectio Divina

I say as the Father told me.

John 12:50

Library

Read the latest issue of America cover to cover in the last 24 hours. The new National Catholic Reporter is waiting on my night table. Still mulling the slim volume by Simone Weil. Meanwhile, began reading the following:

Johnson, Elizabeth A. Friends of God and Prophets: A Feminist Theological Reading of the Communion of Saints. London: Continuum, 1998.

And I am re-reading this book, which I first picked up in 2010:

Lawler, Michael G. Secular Marriage, Christian Sacrament. Mystic, Conn.: Twenty-Third Publications, 1985.

Log

We've bypassed most of the memorials and feast days for saints this Easter thus far, but not today, for we celebrated Saint Fidelis of Sigmaringen, our Capuchin brother who was martyred in the 17th century. You can read about his life here and here. Given the circumstances of his demise, I am wondering how to claim him as one of my own while remaining in a spirit of ecumenical charity toward my Christian sisters and brothers. The wars over religion in Europe during the 17th century sadden me very much. Let us never take for granted the heroic efforts of the faithful involved in the modern ecumenical movement, who over the last century have moved the Christian churches past those violent times and closer to the unity of mind and heart that the ancient Church glimpsed.

Continuing to feel the pull of Boston, my adopted home, my Jerusalem. Offered prayers for the people of the city and metropolitan region during our holy hour of Eucharistic adoration.

It was a day of extended hermitage for me, reading and working quietly on my third and final formal evaluation. Our day of recollection is done; now going to relax with the brothers and view one of my favorite films, The Usual Suspects, with them. Yes, The Usual Suspects. Who would have thought?

Going to Beatitude House tomorrow morning immediately after Mass and morning prayer to conduct another day of reflection with the Catholic Worker community.

Weather

No sun today. Who would have thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment