Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Philosophy and Theology

Lectio Divina

'Take what is yours and go.
What if I wish to give this last one the same as you?
Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money?
Are you envious because I am generous?'


Matthew 20:14-15

Library

My spiritual director is looking after my intellectual development as a Franciscan by introducing me to the philosophical and theological heritage of our tradition. He has given me several pamphlets in the Franciscan Heritage Series, an initiative of the Commission on the Franciscan Intellectual Tradition. Today, during "hermitage time," I read the first volume in this series, by Franciscan Fr. Kenan Osborne, titled The Franciscan Intellectual Tradition: Tracing Its Origins and Identifying Its Central Components (Saint Bonaventure, N.Y.: The Franciscan Institute, 2003). How blessed am I to have the freedom now to explore this tradition and be built up in mind and spirit.

Beginning Resurrection, the final great novel by Leo Tolstoy (New York: The Heritage Press, 1963). This beautiful harcover edition is illustrated with wood engravings by Fritz Eichenberg, whose "Christ of the Breadlines" and many other works are known to readers of The Catholic Worker.

Continuing the lighter reading of Priscilla and Aquila in the evening with my novice brothers.

Log

Today: continuing lessons on liturgy, with a focus on Liturgy of the Hours, the place of music in Catholic liturgical practice, and learning a new musical setting for the Mass. This afternoon, the aforementioned hermitage time and the joy of expanding my mind and spirit in the Franciscan way.

Weather

Comfortable all throughout the day; a most nurturing climate.

No comments:

Post a Comment