Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hiking

Lectio Divina

You shall live in the land I gave your ancestors;
you shall be my people, and I will be your God.


Ezekiel 36:28

Library

Continuing Tolstoy, Resurrection. Continuing Priscilla and Aquila with the novice brothers. Looking forward to continuing the pamphlets published by the Franciscan Institute on the Franciscan intellectual tradition.

Log

This morning and afternoon: Accompanied three of my novice brothers on an eight-mile hike up a narrow wooded trail leading from a Boy Scouts camp to the top of a hill overlooking Cachuma Lake. Walking one of the trails of the Grand Canyon was my first hiking experience, but today was the real deal: no tourists, no trash on the ground. The terrain was rocky! The trail also vanished in some places near the peak of the hill. My feet are beat, but not blistered except for one toe. It's my hips, which felt the stress on the way up, and my knees, which felt it on the way down, that will be achy tomorrow. But for now, I feel healthy and proud to have made the hike.

Weather

Mild in the morning. Warm and sunny in the afternoon, with the faintest of breezes. Mild in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment