Thursday, August 2, 2012

Breakfast in Buellton

Two new mini-features for the blog, which I will call "Library" and "Weather." The first tells you what I am reading currently, as provided by our novice library. By this I mean spiritual and theological reading, as well as anything of general interest, like literature, history, politics, arts and humanities. I am excluding the Catholic periodicals I subscribe to, as well as assigned reading, which I will note occasionally in the Log. I am also leaving out Scripture, which will always be part of my reading! The second tells you, with meteorological metaphors, how I am feeling.


Lectio Divina

Indeed, like clay in the hand of the potter,
so are you in my hand, house of Israel.


Jeremiah 18:6

Library

Stanton, Sue. Great Women of Faith: Inspiration for Action. Illus. by Charlie Craig. Mahwah, N.J.: Paulist Press, 2003.

Valentine, Mary Hester. The Post-Conciliar Nun. New York: Hawthorn, 1968. 

Log

On Thursdays, we have personal time from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. We are permitted to go off site for group recreation.

This morning: breakfast at Ellen's Pancake House in Buellton with my fellow Province of St. Mary novice brothers. We were treated by our wise and witty elder Capuchin brother, Fr. Regis Armstrong, who is on faculty at the Catholic University of America and is a Franciscan scholar. He is living at Old Mission Santa Ines for the summer and mentoring one of our province's friars, who is making a transition into formation ministry and soon to be working with our postulants. (He will be moving to St. Michael Friary in Brooklyn in two weeks.) Also joining us for breakfast was another Province of St. Mary Capuchin "on loan" to the California province serving the Latino community at the mission parish. It was like a mini-chapter of the Province of St. Mary!

This afternoon: reading, rest, and jogging on the treadmill in our exercise room. Also washed my habit for the first time since receiving it almost two weeks ago. 

Weather

Mostly sunny and warm, with a light breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment