Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Somnolencia

Last night I slept like I had not slept in a long time, for perhaps the first time during my Bolivian journey. I slept too well, perhaps! I woke only at the sound of the second morning bell, just before 6:30 a.m. That’s the call to morning prayer at the convent. I lingered in bed instead until it was time to shower and dress for school. I regret missing morning prayer, but I do not regret getting over eight hours of sleep. My thanks to Doctor Siles for meeting with me Monday and prescribing a very strong medication for sleeping soundly throughout the night. I cannot recall waking at all until I heard the convent bell. Sleeping without waking during the night? That never happens. Thank you, Doctor Siles. 

There may be some side effects to the medication, such as increased drowsiness and an increased appetite. I felt the drowsiness into the early afternoon; it will take some time, I imagine, for the body to acclimate to the drug. I did not feel an increased appetite, however, but then I have always had a healthy appetite, except in the event of a stomach virus or some other intestinal bug. If I gain weight, it will be because I took extra helpings of rice and yuca, not only from an altered metabolism! 

This is the final week of this six-week term at Maryknoll. Next week the students have a recess; classes resume on Monday, May 20. This gives me the opportunity to take something of a “vacation,” but what I really mean is that it is an opportunity to break out of the routine of studies at Maryknoll and fraternal life at Convento San Francisco and experience more of Bolivia according to my own rhythm. A week to rest, a week to explore, a week to renew and relax. The week is a blank slate, but I think I can find more than enough activities and recreation to replenish my soul. 

One excursion is already in the works. Joshua and I would like to visit Oruro to the south and west of Cochabamba and make pilgrimage to La Virgen del Socavón, of whom I wrote weeks ago during the time of Carnaval. This would be a day trip to Oruro and back to Cochabamba. It is also possible that I could make an overnight trip to any city whose culture and history attracts me. There is La Paz; there is Copacabana on Lake Titicaca. There are so many options near and far. Even right here in Cochabamba, there are still a number of museums and landmarks I have yet to visit. There remain other churches where I can pay tribute to the faith of the people. 

Do you have any suggestions, dear readers? Send me an e-mail with your thoughts. In the meantime, I wish to thank you for stopping by the blog, whether daily, weekly, or occasionally. I haven’t acknowledged you formally in a while, but I want you to know how much I appreciate your presence here. I carry you with me on this journey of faith, and I hope you will continue to carry me as well. As fellow sojourners, as friends, as folks of good will, and as sisters and brothers in faith (Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and many more), we walk this road, sometimes known, often unknown, by day, by night, together or apart, in parallel or on diverging or converging paths, until we arrive … wherever we arrive. Wherever that is, whenever that is, I hope we recognize ourselves and each other and the place where we stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment