Friday, August 2, 2019

Nuevo Ritmo

I begin where we left off yesterday, with thanks to everyone who came out to the despedida. Brother Scott and I were bowled over by the fine food and kind words and good feeling shared so generously. To the teachers, fellow students, and Maryknoll friends I say que Dios les bendiga abundantemente. Special thanks to Elisabeth and Winifred, our Mennonite friends who last night made their home a home for all of us living far away from home. Indeed, I will miss sharing meals with them at their apartment! May God do good things through them as they continue their adventures in discipleship in Cochabamba.

Today was Brother Scott’s final day of classes, so in keeping with custom, he gave several words of thanks and farewell during the mid-morning café. He received a Maryknoll shirt and his diploma, marking the completion of three months of study. Next Friday it is my turn to give a commencement speech of sorts. I believe Joshua and Charles, my Maryknoll seminarian friends, will be finishing their studies next Friday, too, so they will have some parting words as well. After you, hermanos: you are more than welcome to speak first! 

I avoided the usual Friday funk with a break in the rhythm of classes. For starters, Señora Kitty took the first two periods, during which time we talked about events of the past week. Then we viewed part of Our Brand Is Crisis together. I had viewed the film with Profesora Liliana previously, but we watched in English. Today I watched it dubbed in Spanish with Spanish subtitles. Señora Kitty had not seen the film before, so as we watched I gave her commentary. And those two hours flew by quickly … hooray for real conversation! I continued the film and commentary with Profesora Viviana for the third hour before going to the office of public relations director Silvana Martinez for the fourth hour. There, we continued the conversation with Señor Lionel of Maryknoll’s missionary disciple formation program in the U.S. I was impressed with the work he is doing with parishes across the country to form women and men for domestic and foreign mission and to create a culture of encounter that builds solidarity among different ethnic groups in Catholic communities. I hope to continue a correspondence with him after I return to New York City. All in good time. 

Here comes my last full weekend in Bolivia. Tomorrow, I expect to do a deep cleaning of my room so as to leave it in better condition than when I moved here. In the evening, Brother Scott and I are going to have one more excellent meal at La Cantonata on me, with thanks to the benefactors whose generosity has allowed us to have this immersion experience. We will probably worship at Templo San Rafael on Sunday morning so we can say goodbye to the Capuchin Poor Clare sisters. Apart from those happenings, who knows what the weekend will bring? With fewer than ten days left here, now is a good time to break with established rhythms. Let the work God has begun in us be brought to fullness with the help of grace and good luck and a twist to the beat!

No comments:

Post a Comment