Sunday, August 4, 2019

Comida Fina

It is Sunday, and on this day usually I devote this cyberspace to some spiritual reflection, based on the Gospels and my experiences in Bolivia. But this is my last weekend in Cochabamba, so instead I will look to the lighter side and give you a restaurant review!

To celebrate Brother Scott’s completion of classes, and to rejoice in the time we have shared living together, we went to dinner at La Cantonata. This is the Italian restaurant we enjoyed very much six weeks ago when we treated our Jesuit compañero Brett on the eve of his departure from Bolivia. We came with high expectations for an excellent meal, and all our gustatorial hopes were fulfilled. For me it was sautéed mushrooms followed by ricotta-filled gnocchi; for Brother Scott it was antipasto followed by tortellini. Our homemade pasta was succulent, very filling, and very good. For an encore I had a coffee cake torta, and Brother Scott had a crepe-like apple pancake that was still flaming when brought to the table! Our hearts were warmed by the genial service and the pleasant atmosphere. Brother Scott and I relished the conviviality of the hour and the opportunity for two Capuchin brothers just to be together. I offered a prayer of blessing for the meal, and to my amazement, I improvised it in Spanish. I was proud of myself. Midway through the meal, who should walk in the restaurant but Profesora Liliana and her husband? We introduced ourselves to Profesora Liliana’s partner and marveled at what a small world it is. We came hungry, and we left with full stomachs and full spirits. ¡Bellísimo! To all the Italian restaurants I have known and loved in the Little Italys of New York City’s Lower East Side and Boston’s North End: it is time to raise your game. 

This morning, for Sunday worship, Brother Scott and I returned one more time to Templo San Rafael, the chapel of the Capuchin Poor Clare sisters. Accompanying us were Silvana, the public relations director at Maryknoll, and her mother Daisy. The celebrant, Padre Agustín, was a priest from India; Silvana recognized him because he, too, has studied Spanish at Maryknoll. At the end of the Mass we introduced ourselves to him, and we also said a hasty farewell to the Capuchin clarisas. Next Sunday is the feast of Saint Clare of Assisi; I regret that we will not be here to celebrate this joyous solemnity with our sisters in religion. Following worship, Brother Scott and I went with Señorita Silvana and Señora Daisy to Rincón Potosino, one of the finest eateries for salteñas in Cochabamba. I am a vegetarian, so I cannot enjoy these savory baked meat pastries. But salteñas are practically a national symbol of Bolivia, so I gladly sat and kept company with my compañeras as Brother Scott and I shared with Señora Daisy and Señorita Silvana how we became Capuchin friars. 

I am about halfway finished with the coplas I am writing for my farewell remarks this Friday at Maryknoll. I will now return to the poets’ corner and look for small coins of inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment