Monday, August 5, 2019

Desaventura

I have not been feeling well at all today. A couple of bowel malfunctions and the chills have come over me. Not the way I expected to begin the final week of this Bolivian journey. I do not want to look at or smell food right now. I returned to Convento San Francisco an hour early from classes at Maryknoll. And despite all the pomp and circumstance of Bolivian Independence Day celebrations happening directly outside the convent, I lay me down to rest, bundling up under the covers and closing the shutters. I have not slept, but I do feel good about having rested comfortably in bed for the last several hours. I have sipped some liquids and that is all. Maybe the fever has gone away. I do not know. I do feel a little achy, but the aches would have been worse if I did not lie down. I took a little acetaminophen, and that helped. 

My regret is that I missed the farewell lunch for Brother Scott and me with the Franciscans. No tres leches cake for me, that is for sure. And I need to lay down again shortly, because that is the most comfortable position for me. So I probably will not go off to the airport with Brother Leo and my Capuchin compañero. Again, I regret this very much, but sickness never cooperates with our busyness or our plans, does it?

The bands have started up again, and they will be making martial music all evening and all night. It should be a pretty interesting night for me, given how I feel. But I may be too fatigued to notice or care. Yes, it’s wall-to-wall people all along Avenida Heroinas, but for all I care they could be on Mars. I probably won’t be helped or hindered by the throng outside Calle 25 de Mayo. If I lie awake, I will lie awake. If I sleep, then I will sleep. 

Okay, back to bed now. Pray for me, friends. I aim to return to the United States healthy and in good spirits!

No comments:

Post a Comment