Saturday, April 6, 2019

Mejor

A thank-you to everyone who has been asking about and praying for my rest. This morning I feel awake and refreshed. I think I slept a solid seven hours last night. I forced myself to bed at 9:50 p.m.; I fell asleep slowly. I woke at 2:30 a.m. and 4:45 a.m, but this time the undertow of sleep drew me back under more strongly. Is it the effect of the new medication? Is it eating dinner a couple of hours earlier? Was it walking the treadmill for an hour? All three? Plus everyone’s prayers? 

Thank you for keeping in touch with me through conversation and prayer. This was a more challenging week than I thought, but still much lighter than the days I lived in Ocotepeque, Honduras, in June and July 2014. So I am thankful for the grace of time to grow and mature. I am thankful for the fine tuning of my physical and spiritual conditioning this week. Maybe things are much better than I realize! God is always good. 

No weekend homework assignments from my profesores. No extraordinary adventures, either; thus, a light weekend. Today, attempting laundry; for some reason the spin cycle of the washing machine failed to wring out my clothes, so I am trying again, with Padre Juan Carlos’ help. Also uploading a couple hundred photos of the Tunari Peak expedition to a Google Photos album. More on this in the following post. Perhaps a quick trip to the nearest pharmacy for some personal items. A video call this afternoon, to be followed probably by more exercise. Always Eucharist in the evening. I like to read the Scripture texts in Spanish ahead of time if I can. While my lectio divina continues to be in English, studying the Spanish translation of the words and phrases on which I meditate changes the way I hear and understand the English. 

Tomorrow: returning to Nuestra Casa in the morning, this time to visit all the girls, who will be at home together. I will not be leading any activities, but I will be there during their theater workshop, led by an outside group of performers. In May I hope to offer the girls who want it some spiritual sharing of prayers and songs or some cultural sharing of poems and stories appropriate for their age and interests. Later in the afternoon, perhaps a walk through one of the parks, perchance to sit and begin writing another poem. Or a trip to one of the museums or historic sites. There are opportunities everywhere for language and cultural learning. Just sitting in the clinic yesterday with Kitty Schmidt, the language program coordinator, school was still in session. We had real-life conversations, tired as I was, and had practical interactions with Doctor Ferrel. Finally, in the evening after Eucharist, a video call with my brother Nicholas. 

I wish everyone a weekend of rest and renewal, and continued blessings to my Christian sisters and brothers who observe the Lenten disciplines of fasting, prayer, and giving. May your fasting go lightly, your prayers be hopeful, and your giving be joyful.

No comments:

Post a Comment