Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Power of God

Lectio Divina

Jesus summoned the Twelve and gave them power and authority
over all demons and to cure diseases,
and he sent them to proclaim the Kingdom of God
and to heal the sick.


Luke 9:1-2

For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.

1 Corinthians 4:20

Library

Doing my research on Dorothy Day and the early monastic movement for class. Leisure reading, or reading for personal continuing education, is on hold at the moment.

Log

Spent the day deeply in prayer and rest. Our day of recollection with Bishop Thomas Curry concluded this evening with prayer, adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, and a birthday celebration for one of the novices. Tomorrow it is my turn to be feasted just for being here.

In a couple of days I will post some reflections that came out of some personal meditations on the power of God, the theme of the bishop's presentations. But not tonight. Tonight, I want to stay quiet in thought, word, and deed, because tomorrow will not be quiet.

Would that it could! Over the last several years I have come to prefer solitude on my birthday, and celebrating with only a few friends (or my family if I am near). But my life is not my own, as I well know, and this is being demonstrated to me perfectly tomorrow. We are making an outing to Cachuma Lake, here in the Santa Ynez Valley, as a group from the morning to early afternoon. We will go on a boating tour and then have a picnic lunch. After that, I will leave directly from the lake for Lompoc, Calif., with the Catholic chaplain of the U.S. penitentiary there, for a tour of the facility. I should be back at San Lorenzo in time for evening prayer, a quick video call to my parents, and birthday festivities....

Hold on ... say that again? Going to a prison? Now it can be told: I am changing ministries. I am being transferred from Catholic Charities in Santa Maria to the chaplaincy team at the federal prison later this fall. Informally, the assignment of two novices from San Lorenzo has been approved by the supervisor of the chaplains. Now I must submit the applications and complete a training on site before beginning my term as a volunteer provider of religious services. No promises, but if all goes as planned, I will probably begin my new ministry in November. More to be said about this, too, later.

Weather

Very clear and cool throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment