Thursday, September 20, 2012

Good Weariness

Lectio Divina

Indeed, I have toiled harder than all of them;
not I, however, but the grace of God that is with me.


1 Corinthians 15:10

Library

Checked out the biography on Dorothy Day by William D. Miller (d. 1996), a history professor at Marquette University and the first major historian of the Catholic Worker movement. Reading it in snatches.

Log

This morning and afternoon: Took a five-and-a-half hour hike with three of my novice brothers and one of the formators into the Santa Ynez Valley. We footed it all the way; we walked from our friary doorstep off the grounds and through our neighbors' vast property into the hills. Over dried up creek beds, past gullies, over flat stretches, off the smooths paths and into an arid, rocky riverbed, and then up a steep slope until we could get no further, we went on and on. Getting up the slope was tough enough with the poor footholds and sharp yucca plants pricking us; getting down was even harder! I would have taken an unfortunate tumble downhill and surely injured myself if my brothers were not there to steady my steps and loan me a walking stick. For my part, when the brothers were getting parched and hungry, I had extra water and food to share. We took care of each other and made it all the way home with only a few foot blisters and paper cuts from the yucca plants. The aches will go away; the soreness will stop. The tiredness is only temporary. We may not have gone as far up the hills as we wanted, but we went further than anyone from San Lorenzo has yet gone (I would guess at least 12 miles). We took good risks today, and we feel good about the journey done.

Weather

Bright; the sky is blue and clear, the sun is shining, and the air feels light.

No comments:

Post a Comment