Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Eleven Years

Lectio Divina

How long, O LORD, must I cry for help
and you do not listen?
Or cry out to you, “Violence!”
and you do not intervene?

Habbakuk 1:2 

Library

Almost but not quite finished with Resurrection. Continuing with the other readings as before. 

Log

Full of memories and ideas this morning. The most basic of these thoughts is this: I am glad God has given me at least another eleven years since the day my employer and fifteen of my co-workers died in the World Trade Center. God let me live, and has continued to keep death away so that I may do the work I have been given to do. May I live well; may I live in, by, and for God alone.

So I am glad, but I am also feeling subdued and irritable, as is usual on this anniversary.

I understand why people want never to forget the day. I understand why they want to curse the violence. But when they curse the people they hold guilty and responsible for what happened, I will not go so far, because I do not want to curse anybody, for all have sinned and fall far short of the glory of God. When they bless the armies that have warred in the lands where our enemies are feared to lurk and destroyed so many lives and families, I hesitate. And when they use the day to seek a renewed blessing for the cursing and destruction of enemies, especially in the name of peace, I will not join them.

Let us work and pray for peace through just, merciful, and compassionate means. Without terror. Without violent revolution. Without the armed forces of the nations, ours or any other.

Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me.

This evening: a candlelight prayer for peace, organized by the brothers, with intercessions proclaimed in many languages. 

Weather

Beautiful, in a poignant way.

No comments:

Post a Comment