Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Eclipse

The word that titles today’s post is the same in English and Spanish, though pronounced differently. I am dashing off this post before the partial solar eclipse begins here. It will happen over Cochabamba this afternoon between quarter to four and quarter to six, with the maximum phase of the eclipse occurring at about ten minutes to five, give or take. About 60 percent of the sun will be obscured by the moon. I have the polarized lenses I bought before going to the bright white salt flats of Uyuni. They are not eclipse glasses, so there is still a hazard in viewing the eclipse. I think I may wait until just before the moment of maximum occlusion, say quarter to five, to step outdoors and see what it is safe to see. Those who live in Argentina and Chile will be blessed to experience the total eclipse

I attempted conversation with Profesor Óscar about the eclipse. I discussed how an eclipse happens and what it has signified to human societies over history. I got him sufficiently interested in this heavenly event to make him want to check it out later today. 

With another day of classes done, there are now forty days left between my feet and the concrete of New York City. As I wrote to another Capuchin brother, time is moving quickly, in the classroom, in the convent, and around the city. 

The brothers back home are holding a series of regional meetings to prepare for our provincial chapter. This is the assembly where all the brothers in New York and New England gather every three years to elect leadership and set a course for our mission. We are constantly evaluating our ministry commitments, that is, where do we serve and what do we do. Through the provincial chapter we come to decisions about how best to serve the people of God and be true to our identity as lesser brothers in the spirit of Saint Francis of Assisi. At the end of the day, we value our spirit of fraternity above everything else. The demands of ministry should not eclipse the fundamental value of Gospel brotherhood. 

I mention this because now and then I say things on the blog that make it sound like my worth as a brother will be determined by the usefulness of my Spanish for ministry. This is not true. Granted, it is probable that my Spanish will not suffice in some ministry situations. For example, take Nuestra Casa, the girls’ shelter. On the other hand, I think that working with kids just isn’t my thing, in any language! Two things. First, the truth is that only time will tell how useful my Spanish will be. Second, it is also true that it will be more useful only if I keep practicing it. So that means I need to stay open to every opportunity and let the failures happen so I can learn from them. 

Moreover, what matters most is my determination to keep learning, to keep striving, not for the sake of ministry itself, but in order to serve others like a brother. For Capuchins, excellence in ministry is measured by the quality of brotherhood in our holy activity. Easy to remember, but we are quick to forget this in the pace of our routines. 

So it all comes back to this resolution: let not what we do eclipse who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment