Saturday, June 1, 2019

Correos

Yesterday afternoon I was catching up with correspondences over e-mail. They had been accumulating through the busy week. Once again, I thank you, friends and readers of the blog, for staying close in a communion of prayer and electronic posts. For those of you who live in New York and New England, it will be good to see you in person again after my return in mid-August. 

Sad to say, one form of correspondence I have not had the privilege to answer is mail. Some of you have tried to reach out to me with a letter or postcard or even a package. None of these items have made it into my hands. And I share your disappointment completely. The Bolivian post office has let us down, no question about it. At best I know that the postcards I sent out of the country made it to their destinations in about five weeks’ time. Getting letters and parcels into the country and to their proper destinations seems to be much more difficult. It is quite possible that the Bolivian post office will have misplaced or lost your items completely and forever. 

Now it is the beginning of June, and I have been waiting for well over three months for anything to arrive. I spoke to Brother Leo, and he assured me that if any postcards, letters, or parcels arrive after I leave on Aug. 10, Convento San Francisco will send them back to me in the United States. That would be farcical, but what else would we do by then? I am grateful ahead of time to the Franciscans here for taking the trouble to send back to the U.S. what took forever and a day to get to Bolivia. 

To those of you who are still contemplating the gift of a postcard, letter, or something more substantial, I say, save the postage. You would do much better to leave a gift at Church of the Good Shepherd. If you live in the neighborhood, dear parishioners, that is what you should do. For the rest of you, save your messages for my return. If you have a card or gift and you do not live in the vicinity of upper Manhattan, then send what you have to Good Shepherd. It will feel amazing to see your cards and parcels waiting for me when I get back. 

For your information, here is my local address: 

Bro. Anthony Zuba, OFM Cap.
Good Shepherd Friary 
608 Isham Street 
New York, NY 10034 

Now, having chastised the Bolivian post office, I am entrusting several more postcards to their couriers. Let’s pray and hope for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment