Monday, March 4, 2019

Tarata

I am cheating and pre-writing Tuesday’s post today. I may not have the time or energy to send you a dispatch tomorrow. That is because the friars are taking a day trip to the city of Tarata, which is located 35 kilometers southwest of the city of Cochabamba (that’s almost 22 miles for us, the remnant who use the imperial system). We are going to observe the ch’alla celebration, which is actually the same k’oa ritual that I participated in last Friday at Maryknoll. In addition to the first Friday k’oa rituals across Bolivia, ch’alla is always observed with great solemnity on the final Tuesday of Carnaval before Lent commences.

All of the friars in our household, the students, the padres, and brothers, are from Bolivia. Tuesday is another feriado, or national holiday. Of course they are going to celebrate ch’alla. And of course I am going with them to Tarata. This will likely be the most intense day of immersion yet for me, because I’ll be with the friars all day long, not only at appointed hours for prayer, meals, and social time. A continuous saturation in the language and culture of a people at a time of year when they crest the peak of pride in their identity, their country, and their customs. I imagine it will be fun, frustrating, invigorating, tiring, and moving, both by turns and all at once.

We leave at 9 a.m. from the convent—ah, a reasonable and godly hour! The bus will get us there in about an hour. We will return by 5 p.m. I asked Padre Juan Carlos and Padre Kasper, do I need to bring my breviary? No, but we will have prayers; I assume we will simply follow along with the k’oa of ch’alla. Do I need to bring money? No, but we will have lunch. (Who said there’s no such thing as a free lunch in life?) Do I need to wear my habit? No, está libre: you are free this day. When we return to the convent there will be no common activities that evening, either prayer, Mass, or a meal. If I am not fatigued, then I will send you a recap.

Pray that we have a safe journey to Tarata and back. Pray that God’s fiery spirit continues to make its dancing descent, coming close enough to bring light to my eyes and to sear my lips, shocking me into speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment