Friday, March 15, 2019

Gustar

This morning with Profesora Liliana: a return to the verb gustar. This word gets a lot done, because it expresses a liking for something. The literal meaning of the word, as it is used in accordance with the rules of Spanish grammar, is “to be pleasing” to someone. So with respect to activities, the statement me gusta comer (“I like to eat”) would come out literally as “eating pleases me.” With respect to things, the statement me gusta esta camiseta (“I like this undershirt”) would come out literally as “this undershirt pleases me.” And with respect to persons, the statement me gustas tú (“I like you”) is literally “you please me.” You get the idea. There is implied in the logic of this grammar a sense of the external world having an impact on the subject (which is technically the object). Actions, things, and persons come over the subject and produce an effect on the subject. This is not to deny the agency of the subject who expresses a liking or a disliking. But the meaning that can be taken from the usage of the verb gustar is that the subject is overtaken by a strongly held feeling as a result of the encounter. The liking is an impact, the effect of what has happened to the subject. In the case of persons, me gustas tú implies a passionate reaction, an emotion that cannot be helped. You are pleasing to me. It couldn’t be any other way. Something happens, and the liking overcomes you.

This grammar lesson brings to mind a spiritual lesson, through a remembrance of things past. I lived in Central America in June and July 2014. It was my first immersion in another language and culture. Those six weeks were among the most difficult in my Capuchin journey. I spoke very little Spanish; I understood less. Much of the time I was cranky, nervous, and tired. And frustrated! Little to nothing about Honduras held any charm for me, nor did I seek its charms. And I told myself, over and over, it is because you do not understand the people or the environment around you. With more understanding, you will love them and their world. Well, I did not gain much understanding, and my love remained small and cold. I realized, late and to my regret, I had it backward. Love does not come with understanding. Understanding comes with love. Bring love, and you will find understanding. And more than that: if you have no love to bring, ask God to bring love to you. Since that summer of struggle, whenever I have found myself in unfamiliar or difficult places, whenever I have not felt at home, I have asked God to do more and bring love, or at least more of a natural liking, to me. Awaken me to the charms of other people, places, and things, so that grace may find a foothold on nature and get to work. This has been my Lenten prayer against timesickness, my prayer to appreciate la vida cotidiana. Indeed, it is a prayer I have been practicing more these last few months. And I think it has pleased God to answer my prayer—a Dios le gusta responder a mi oracion. It pleases God to grant more gustar, to overcome me with a holy pleasure in what God has sent with love.

Profesora Liliana played the music video for “Me Gustas Tú” by Manu Chao for Joshua and me. It’s a fun song and a playful video. And it’s an unexpected tutorial in the usages of gustar.

1 comment:

  1. "Bring love, and you will find understanding." We are on the same page...Love->compassion->forgiveness->mercy : I wrote this in my journal most of last month. Richard Rohr focused on Creation and I paraphrased: So not only are we the second incarnation, but Christ in us springs forth from the already Christ-saturated physical universe, connecting us to the origin of matter. Christ springing forth is the source of the intention to Love which can often come before feelings. On retreat at Graymoor this weekend. Happy St. Patrick's day. No Irish soda bread for you!

    ReplyDelete