Friday, July 12, 2013

Transitus (I Must Go)

Music by Bro. Jim Menkhus, OFM Cap. (after Dies Irae, Thomas of Celano); lyrics by Bro. Bobby Barbato, OFM Cap., 2011.

Dies irae dies illa
Solvet saeclum in favillia:
Teste David cum Sybilla.

We beg our father not to leave us
As orphans in this tearful vale;
We beg you, "Stay, we need your fervor,
Without your guidance we will fail.

I must go to set you free
To follow Christ, not follow me.

We beg him, "Please, stay your journey."
Give us more precious years,
That we may learn to see as you see
To confront and conquer our earthbound fears

I must go to set you free
To learn from Christ, and not from me.

He sees our tears, and with a smile,
He tells us not to weep or fret
He tells us God is with us always.
He tells us he will not forget

I must go to set you free,
But all your hopes I take with me.

We lay him down with care and sorrow,
Naked on the naked earth.
He feebly raises hands in blessing,
Awaiting that more blessed birth.

I must go to set you free,
Your dreams and hopes I take with me.

Then he sleeps while larks are singing,
The sunset glows a vivid red.
Amidst our tears we will remember
The words of comfort he said:

I am going to set you free
I am going to set you free
I am going to set you free.

If you cling to Christ, you won't lose me.
If you cling to Christ
You won't lose me.

Dies irae dies illa
Solvet saeclum in favilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment