Saturday, November 26, 2011

Dear Mom

My mother, Mary, is 59 years old today. This note is for her.

Dear Mom,

Your birthday is here, and I can little afford the usual gifts it is fitting to offer you. What can I do?

I can give myself to you. That is what I will do. I will do it in thanks for the life you gave me.

I will make myself poor, but only so I can give myself to you.

I will make myself chaste, but only so I can give myself to you.

I will make myself obedient to God's will, but only so I can give myself to you.

You will know I have given myself to you when I feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked, tend to the sick, visit the stranger and prisoner, and comfort the afflicted.

You might not believe me. You will think I am not really doing this for you. You will think I am doing this for everyone but you. You will think I am doing this for a God who does not exist. You will think I am dreaming delusions.

But I am not dreaming, and you must believe me, because God is real. I am giving myself to God so that I can give myself to you. You will know that I honor you and offer myself to you in the works I do for others.

So I will say it again: You will know I have given myself to you when I feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked, tend to the sick, visit the stranger and prisoner, and comfort the afflicted.

Because you did these things for me, more times than anyone can count.

You are blessed because you blessed me with more grace and mercy than you ever knew was flowing through you.

I know of the grace and mercy I have received. Now I will give it all away. It is all I can do. I can do it because of the life you gave me. I can do it because you gave me.

Thank you for what you have given me. Thank you for giving me. May the Spirit of God bless you and fill you with grace as she once blessed Mary the mother of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment