Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pentecost

Lectio Divina

... will give life to your mortal bodies also....

Romans 8:11

Library

Johnson, Friends of God and Prophets, anchoring the chapel stall; Brown, The Ecumenical Revolution, anchoring the night table. America awaits, too.

Log

Received the third and final evaluation from the formators last evening. I am still here with the Capuchins. The way has been cleared for me to formally request admission to temporary vows from the provincial minister of the Province of Saint Mary.

Feeling subdued and pensive today. We have come this far with the Capuchins, but there is still so far to go. Resolved to become a "lesser brother," I want to be more than who I am. There is no contradiction in this. However, I cling so much to who I am as I am. Only to this me, not to the One who makes me. This is not faith. This is a negation of my religion. The Holy Spirit will make me fully who I am to be, if only I let go and surrender to the One creating something out of nothing, ordering out of chaos, present in the creation and the nothing, present in the chaos and the order. Present in the death and in the life.

Thank you, friars, for saying yes to my yes as we struggle together to say, with the groaning spirit of God, Yes.

This morning at San Lorenzo, a good celebration of the Eucharist on this solemnity of Pentecost, the commemoration of the descent of the Holy Spirit and the inauguration of the Church, active and visible in the world. Now, to call family in New York and a friend in Massachusetts suffering from cancer and recovering from spinal surgery. This afternoon, perhaps some reading and long, long delayed correspondence. This evening, as we close the season of Easter, a special service of worship leading into night prayer and silence until the morning, with an all-night vigil of Eucharistic adoration.

Weather

Last night, the half moon beamed like a friend catching sight of me from afar. And in the cool dark night, I could only look up in relief.

1 comment:

  1. Praise be to God, and blessings on you and the other brothers!

    ReplyDelete