Monday, September 17, 2012

Marks of Jesus

Lectio Divina

"Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself,
take up his cross, and follow me."


Mark 8:34

From now on, let no one make troubles for me; for I bear the marks of Jesus on my body.

Galatians 6:17

Library

Continuing Priscilla and Aquila. Continuing study of the Spanish textbook intermittently. Received some good educational materials from a radical disciple friend in Cambridge, Mass., on understanding wealth through the prism of Scripture and the vantage point of the poor, with revolutionary implications for Christian praxis. Excellent food for the soul on the first anniversary of the Occupy movement.

Log

Saturday: House chapter, a plenary gathering of the San Lorenzo fraternity. We reviewed formation matters, quality-of-life issues in the fraternity, and our upcoming schedule. The meeting was very good for its orderliness and comprehensiveness, touching on many of the basic aspects of our life together as friars in formation. I feel that novice brothers' voices were heard in the chapter meeting, but I would like to know how our input on program quality and community life informs and influences decisions that are reserved ultimately to the formation team.

Sunday: Mass at St. Louis de Montfort Parish in Santa Maria, administered by Josephite priests. It was my turn to choose where the six novice brothers in my worship group would attend the Sunday celebration of Mass, and I opted for this congregation in Santa Maria because it is the spiritual home of many of the volunteers at the Catholic Charities office where I also volunteer. And during communion one of those volunteers did indeed tap me on the shoulder. In the afternoon: a slow walk around the environs of San Lorenzo Friary.

Celebrated two novice brothers' birthdays this weekend, and I prepared the dessert for our Saturday evening meal. We have two more birthdays coming up in the next ten days, including your humble correspondent's thirty-fifth.

This morning: turning now in class sessions to the history of Christian spirituality. I was mistaken last week when I said we would be spending two consecutive weeks of class sessions on biblical foundations of prayer. This afternoon: spiritual direction at Old Mission Santa Barbara.

Weather

Saturday: The sun was so hot, it could burn you in a minute. You had to be careful not to stay too long in its presence!

Sunday: The heat remained, but it was more tolerable. The evening brought the relief of coolness.

Today: Quite cool in the morning, but the passion of the day always brings a return of the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment