Sunday, November 13, 2011

Slow Writing

This post is being written in haste, ironically, in praise of slow writing.

Most of the time I do fast writing, using the media of electronic mail, social networks (Facebook), and this web log to communicate quickly, even instantly. What I write is episodic, sometimes epigrammatic, but mostly telegraphic: terse and in abbreviation. How I write: sporadically, in a spurt, in constant edit, and usually in lazy reliance on set pieces and easy algorithms.

How different it felt, then, when I sat down this afternoon to mark my words with a pencil, not a keyboard; to leave my words on the grainy surface of our friary's cream-colored stationery, not the pane of a virtual window; seal them with my saliva, not the Save function; and send them with a stamp, not the Enter key. How aware I had become of the sacramentality of every word, every little letter, when I had to stop and consider before physically erasing them from the paper. Though I must be mindful of it when I tap the Backspace key, I am surely less mindful of it.

O my friends who will receive my notes in a few days, know of the great love I hold for each of you when you break open the words fixed slowly and care-fully in their lines. Through them and with them and in them may you see beyond them to the Word that has been inscribed hopefully in you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment