Thursday, October 6, 2011

Twice in Manhattan

In the last 24 hours I have been to Manhattan twice. Yesterday I marched to Wall Street with 5,000 demonstrators bearing the Capuchin spirit with me and my brothers and sisters from Neighbors Together. This evening, in midtown Manhattan, I worshipped at St. John the Baptist Parish in the company of many friars and our most generous benefactors before adjourning to the Affinia Hotel down the street for the Capuchins' annual dinner.

Twice in the span of 24 hours I have seen the best of human nature, and although the gatherings I attended were vastly different in size, manner, means, and effect, they were both liturgies of celebration and bore the marks of compassion and hospitality.

I haven't the time at this moment to write a detailed dispatch about these events, particularly the Wall Street happening, but I hope to offer some theological reflections by and by.

It may be a few days before the next post. It will be early to bed tomorrow evening, because the postulants leave before dawn on Saturday for Boston. We are going to St. Ignatius of Loyola Parish at Boston College to witness the ordination of two of our brothers to the order of deacon. This is a transitional stage for them; they will be ordained to the priesthood next year.

The ceremony is in the morning, leaving the postulants free in the afternoon and evening. I cannot wait to meet up with a few of my longtime friends. It will be so good to be back in Boston. There's no place like it in the early autumn. And uncommonly warm weather awaits us!

No comments:

Post a Comment